Monday 22 March 2010

The Parapet

Raising Your Head
There is little doubt that raising your head above the parapet exposes you to the danger of it getting shot at. Anyone in the public eye or in sport or business faces this prospect.

In my time, as a businessperson, I've certainly been shot at - and, I have to say, continue to be shot at. Reluctantly I accept this as a hazard and by-product of my business and personal life.

Anonymous
I guess the most upsetting thing at seeing my own name, David Abingdon, in the same sentence as the word ‘scam’ – which is something that has happened to me recently, and to my real shock - is that a lot of people that write such things hide behind the guise of a pseudonym or just plain ‘anonymous’. 

I don’t think I’m on my own when I say that any reasonable person cannot help but think that they are spineless and cowardly, taking pot shots and then hiding from view. It seems shocking that these people feel that they can write whatever they choose – even if it isn’t true. There’s freedom of speech and then there’s freedom to make all kinds of remarks without any fear of comeback because you’re shielded behind a cloak of anonymity. I’m a pretty upfront person who is much more likely to spark a row by calling a spade a useless, blunt shovelling implement than by making a veiled dig, so it’s not how I work at all.

Others self-righteously judge and scoff without examining the evidence or the facts. They somehow feel that for someone to succeed in their peer group reflects badly upon them and shows them up as non-achievers. Therefore they must attack, undermine and criticize.

Someone once said:
‘Normal’ people will tell you that
If you dream you are crazy,
If you succeed you are lucky, and
If you are wealthy you are greedy.

Some of it may, of course, be due to the Tall Poppy Syndrome. Someone does something genuine with their life and earns merit only to be cut down, resented or subjected to condemnation because they succeed in elevating themselves. How sad.

To me it is a self-evident truth, and I’ve always made it plain to my students and the people I work with that, for what I teach to work, then it must be down to them. Hard work is the only way to make it work, and I should know, given that I never exactly had a silver spoon myself and built up my own businesses by putting in the graft, grind and sleepless nights that it so often takes.

In other words, I can show you what to do and how to do it but I can’t actually make you do it. You must do it for yourself – and if you don’t, you really can’t blame anyone else.  Even when that is the easy way out.

11 comments:

  1. How true, David! Very well said indeed.

    The poppy syndrome is a great analogy. Best just to carry on doing what you're good at. Problem is, NI people are so "humble", they hate anyone else seeming to be successful.

    Trouble scraping and bowing and licking get you nowhere - lasting - fast.

    Thanks for the rant and best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lorna Micklefield29 March 2010 at 09:14

    Indeed very well put David.

    As one of those 3000 people you have taught in consulting, I can honestly say it has been an amazing journey and you have not only been an inspiration but the support you have given me has been priceless. I am sure I am one of many that has many thanks and gratitude towards you.

    A negative attitude is self-defeating. We won’t find solutions to life’s problems by looking for someone or something to blame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David

    Love the new blog and this is a great post. Well put as ever, as you say success is down to the individual.

    I'm looking forward to seeing the programme tonight and to your next blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi David i just watched how the other half live on Channel 4 and i am touched by what you are doing for that family. you are a good man and give you company a very good name

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi David,

    I have just seen you on T.V, and I think both you and your family are fantastic! Keep up the great work!

    I also believe that success is always down to the individual as one is the creator of their their own results.

    Well done once again!

    Sunita
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi David, I totally get "marketing".. or so I thought.

    Seeing you, your family and your kindness really puts things into perspective.

    Thanks for that.
    Going to go and buy your book now ;-)

    Take care,
    Shaun

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done on how the other half live, I'm not really a fan of these types of reality tv shows but this one was very well produced and showed you as a kind, caring and down to earth person who has built a successful business but has not forgotten their roots.

    Its so nice to see people giving something back

    I also wish Cal and Iris every success, they deserve it

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi David,

    I trained as a barrister and have moved on to other ventures since, however there is a barrister based at chambers in Manchester, called Gareth, who was the son of travellers, who may be able to help with a days shadowing, now I cant remember his second name, but his tutor at Bar school was Maggie Daw who is a Deputy district Judge and head of the BVC course at MMU, if you get hold of her I am sure she will put you in touch with Gareth.

    Regards
    GHD

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear David,
    I'm so impressed at the warmth, generosity and grace with which you helped Cal and Iris ("How the Other Half Live"). You have a lovely, very grounded family with an inspirational sense of social responsibility. I really hope things work out for Cal and Iris.
    Regards, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear All

    Having looked at this site for the first time and i'm so glad i did.
    I have just started my small LED business about 6 months ago and i'm hitting a brick wall at the moment.
    Hoping i can get some great tips from this site and also getting my business moving in the right direction.
    Regards
    Phill Higgins

    ReplyDelete